I thought it would be fun to share with you a new fun technique. In this article you get to learn how to add water drops or dewdrops to your favorite image. Water drops are pretty simple if you follow along with me. I have created a step by step. Get out your markers…or even your other coloring medium because the concept is the same.
1. Draw a circle using a pencil or a copic Multiliner pen. It is okay if it is not a perfect circle.
2. Color in a darker shade on just one inside edge of your water drop. I used B97.
3. Leave a white spot if at all possible and blend out the darkest shade with a medium (B95) shade following the contour of the circle. If your white spot disappears by mistake then you can add it back later with Opaque White or a white gel pen.
4. Following the contour of the medium blend it out using your lightest marker, again leaving white on the opposite side. I used B93 and a small amount of B91.
5. For the shadow you will want to mimic the white area within the circle. Leave a small white area and mimic the outside edge of your circle. Do not go around the whole circle, just a little ways on the opposing the lightest area with the circle. For this I used the B97.
6. Blend the darkest shade out with the medium tone (B95)
7. Blend out the medium with the lightest (B93 and B91)
Water drops mimic the color that it is resting upon. A green leaf will have green within the drop; if the object is blue the drop will have blue inside. Your light source plays a big part in doing water drops. You will place the darkest area within the drop that is closest to the light source and the shadow will be cast from the drop on the farthest side away from the light source.
In the photo below you will see the 4 drops directly behind the angel are incorrect. The cast shadows are going the wrong direction.
In order to show the light source correctly be sure and place your shadows on the correct side of the drop.
The Angel Singing on the Moon image is available in the store
Other Copic colors used: Skin E50 E51 E93 cheeks BV20 shadow, Hair E31 E35 E57 E79, Dress RV34 RV17 RV19, Wings BV20 BV23 BV25, Moon B91 B93 B95 B97
Are you interested in learning techniques such as this one and so many more in person? Check out one of our DT member yearly Copic Boot Camp retreats. Click on the link for more information. You do not want to miss this!! INFO HERE